The April 2009 issue of Conversations, includes the following articles:
Faith with Understanding
These papers, on different aspects
of Christian life, were part of a series of talks given at Mark the
Evangelist, UCA, North Melbourne.
- John Smith in the ‘Language of Faith’
asks us to consider the problem of the language we use within the
church, and the barrier that that can cause. ‘It is like saying our
files are in rich text, and sometimes they are encrypted, so we have to
open them in a special way’.
- Christiaan Mostert explores the elements of words and symbols in ‘Living Sacramentally’
and offers the possibility that we could enter into the experience of
sacramental worship with greater understanding than we have at present.
- ‘Living Baptismally’
is considered by Christiaan Mostert as not merely the first step of our
life in Christ; but both the content and form to every subsequent step.
- In ‘Living Eucharistically’, John Smith outlines the origins of the Eucharist and the changes that have taken place, particularly in the early church.
- In ‘Living Prayerfully’,
Katharine Massam offers the idea that prayer is about increased
self-understanding and it can change us so that we conform more closely
Book Review – Noel Schultz
Book Launch – Tom Elick
What Future – Our Church?! – Randall Prior
papers presented to at the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church
Aotearoa New Zealand, Wellington, October 2008, in which Randall Prior
explores where the Church is today and its possible future. – Part 1 – Part 2
- Tom Elich is a Roman Catholic priest serving in the Parish
of Saints Peter and Paul, Bulimba, QLD. He is also Director of the
Liturgical Commission in the Archdiocese of Brisbane.
- Katharine Massam is Professor of Church History at the Center for Theology and Ministry
- Christiaan Mostert is Professor of Systematic Theology at the Center for Theology and Ministry
Prior is Principal of the Uniting Church Theological College and
Professor of Ministry and Missiology at the Center for Theology and
- Noel Schultz is a retired Uniting Church Minister
- John Smith is Minister of the UCA Congregation of Mark the Evangelist, North Melbourne.